Startup contest is organized according to the principles of a similar contest within SVOD conference (Silicon Valley Open Doors), which traditionally takes place in Silicon Valley, CA, USA.
- Preliminary startups selection (11 August – 28 September 2008) – is carried out by the organizers according to special criteria. Selected projects are sent to the experts for assessment.
- Startups’ assessment and defining finalists (29 September – 6 October 2008) – is carried out by Experts according to the following criteria. The organizers form the finalists list (5 projects/startups in every nomination) based on experts’ assessment. Experts may add comments, remarks and recommendations to their assessment, which will be later sent to all contestants.
- Contest final and selection of the winners (19 October 2008) – is carried out by the jury based on the results of finalists’ presentations. The jury evaluates projects according to the criteria, whereupon, with all points summed up, one winner in each nomination is defined. In case a finalist can not make a presentation himself, the organizers reserve the right to replace him/her by another participant, on the basis of experts’ assessment at the second stage.
- Seed Stage – early stage of the project/company life cycle (when there is only an idea or an early prototype of a project). Required investment: from 50 000 up to 150 000 Euros.
- Early Growth Stage – when the company has already started selling goods/services, has stable growth and middle-sized capacity. Required investment: from 500 000 up to 1 million Euros.
Experts’ assessment and judgment within the contest will be based on a 10-point scale in the following categories:
- Innovations in technological approach
- Business model
- Markets’ attraction
- Presentation quality
- Investment attractiion (has double influence in assessment)
The organizers are negotiating with sponsors and other interested companies/people about the prizes, which will be awarded to two contest winners and finalists. Further detailed information about contest prize will be published later.
Who can participate in the contest?
Companies, which are registered or are going to operate in СЕЕ countries, as well as companies, founded by people, who come from CEE region and are directed towards global markets can participate. Company’s activity should be relevant to one of the three spheres:
How to participate?
Those who are interested in participation should send an application form to the following address – startups [at] blogcampcee.com – not later than September 28. Application should consist of a letter, in which an entrepreneur should ask for consideration of his project and prove his/her awareness of the contest rules. Executive Summary and project presentation in English for potential investors should be attached to the letter.
The presentation should help a participant to speak for 6 minutes sharply . This time limit will be given for each presentation on the final day (and additional 4 minutes for Q&A session).
The organizers offer the following materials for preparation as a bonus:
Experts and jury
Experts conduct preliminary assessment of all projects. Experts’ group will consist of investors, entrepreneurs, consultants, successful high-tech companies staff and other people, who are familiar with venture business sphere.
Jury defines contest winners in two nominations based on presentations results according to special criteria. The jury will consist of individual and institutional investors, who have experience with venture investments. You can see the complete Jury members’ list on the proper site page.
Intellectual property protection
Entrepreneurs applying with their projects to the contest are aware of their intellectual property (ideas, code, design, trade marks and other intellectual property objects) being protected according to the legislation of the country of company registration and/or legislation of the country, where companies carry out/plan to carry out their activities. In case there is a lack of such protection the entrepreneur bears responsibility for a third party using his/her intellectual property. In any case he/she can not complain concerning the use of unprotected intellectual property to contest organizers, experts, jury members, other contest participants and/or the Investors day.
Sughrue Company, presented by Pavel Pogodin can provide consultancy to entrepreneurs participating in the contest. Contact mail concerning consultations: law [at] blogcampcee.com.