To take advantage of the features of the Xoom application, you must:
- Download the Xoom app from the App Store or Google Play
- Open the app and sign in (or create a new account)
- Select a destination country
- Choose whether you want to send money, pay bills or top up a prepaid mobile phone account
You must be at least 18 years old to use Xoom, and must have a PayPal account or create a PayPal account. Logging in is a bit confusing though, as you can log in to Xoom through PayPal or Xoom. However, passwords for PayPal and Xoom are the same.
You can sign in to Xoom through PayPal or directly through Xoom.
With Xoom, you can transfer money to someone’s bank account, debit card, or digital wallet. You can also send money to the recipient for pickup at a Xoom-affiliated store or have it delivered directly to the recipient’s location. Xoom charges a fee for this service.
Xoom indicates that a recipient will receive money from a few minutes to a few days. The time it takes for the money to reach a recipient depends on:
- Which country does the money go to
- Whether you choose bank deposit, cash pickup or home delivery for the recipient to receive the money
- Whether you send the money via bank account, debit card or credit card.
The fees depend on the amount of money sent and where it is sent.
If, for example, you send $200 to someone in Mexico, the cost of sending pesos through a PayPal account or a bank account to another bank account would be $2.99, while it would be 3 $.99 to send the amount to a debit or credit card. . Regardless of payment method, the fee for a cash withdrawal would be $3.99.
When you use a credit card to send money, the credit card issuer may charge a separate fee.
A Xoom money transfer can take anywhere from a few minutes to a few days, depending on:
- The country your money is being sent to
- Whether you choose bank deposit, cash pickup or home delivery
- Whether you choose to pay with a bank account, debit card or credit card
This shows the fee schedule for sending $200 to someone in Mexico as of June 14, 2022.
One of the features of Xoom is the ability to pay bills in other countries. Here is the list of bills that can be paid: water, telephone, electricity, internet, cable and packages.
However, bills can only be paid in eight countries: Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico and Nicaragua. Therefore, you cannot pay bills to US companies, for example.
To pay an invoice, you will be asked to provide the account number and payment amount.
Paying bills through Xoom comes at a price, as a “low” fee is charged when you pay a bill.
In Mexico, you can pay bills at eight utility companies.
Top up mobile phone accounts
Xoom lets you recharge mobile phone accounts in dozens of countries, including the United States. This feature is designed to allow you to deposit money into another person’s mobile phone account through a company called DT One.
To send money for a mobile phone account, you:
- Enter the phone number that is being topped up
- Choose an amount to pay
- pay fees
When you top up a mobile phone account, you are asked for the phone number you want to top up and the amount of money.
If you regularly repeat transactions, Xoom allows you to store contacts to perform the same task again. For example, this might include sending money to your grandmother each month or topping up your prepaid mobile phone account.
Xoom lets you use Regular Contacts by:
- Tap contacts to get a list of your recent contacts
- Tap the type of transaction you want to resend under a contact’s name
- Changing the amount or payment options if necessary
- Swipe to send
The Xoom app automatically sends transaction updates via SMS if you enable push notifications and tap the “Get SMS Updates” button after confirming a transaction. You can also check the status of all transactions at any time by tapping “activity” and choosing a transaction from the list.